States we've Traveled

States we've Traveled

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Monday, September 15, 2008

Survived Ike!!

Well Ike has finally passed and Ms.Southwind has survived. I spent Friday glued to the news on TV to see weather or not we were advised to evacuate for hurricane Ike. I had Ms.Southwind and everything ready to where it would only takes a matter of minutes to be on the road to higher ground. The only thing that would of needed done, was TV put in the floor in front of the couch, the freezer outside put in front of the sink and the electric and cable unhooked. Luckily that warning never came.

There was some wind and every once in awhile Ms. Southwind received a little rock. But, I've actually felt more rocking from the winds in Illinois. Several others here in the park said that their campers really rocked. One guy here strapped his camper down with ratchet straps. He bought these long things he screwed into the ground and hooked them to that. Several complained that they were almost sea sick from all the rocking. They seem to think that because Ms. Southwind is older, she is heavier and i have her packed to the hilt. LOL They also said the way Ms. Southwind is parked that most of the wind was blocked by her behind! I actually feel more movement when the dogs jump off the bed or couch then i did from Ike. Our power and cable flickered on and off most of the day. But we never really totally lost power. The cable did go out for about 20 minutes at one time. I did have to put a bungee cord around the freezer i bought. It's sitting outside and i got up Saturday morning and the wind had blown the door open. That is how strong the wind was!

Several roads are closed here. The surge wasn't as big as they thought it would be, but most roads near the Gulf are closed. I thought about going out this weekend and getting some pictures but then i didn't want to be in the way of those trying to clean up. There are people at this time who are homeless and most of their belongings gone. The news has shown pictures of flooding and destruction. But this area was very lucky. Poor Texas has been hit hard! We were lucky because we were only on the tail end of the right side of the storm. Those who were closer to the right side were hit very hard. Most flooding here was from the surge of water Ike brought in.

Saturday afternoon was spent doing laundry, going grocery shopping and just relaxing. My allergies have been running wild lately. I guess i have hay fever here as i did in Illinois. My sinus are causing headaches, stuffed up nose, my eyes, ears and throat itches. So most the weekend was spent inside in the air.

Sunday was spent watching football and racing. The Jets lost ... and so did Kyle Busch!

This morning I'm still fighting my allergies and my back is bothering me, so it's just gonna be a day that will be spent lazying around. Even though it's only 75 degrees outside the humidity is 94%!
I spent most of the morning watching these clouds move closer and closer and finally this afternoon they got here!!
It's funny how clouds work the clouds on the driver side of the RV were kinda dark and the clouds in front of the RV were really dark and then the clouds on the passenger side were just as clear. I snapped these pictures about 5 mins before ......
The rain started pouring down and when it came ... it came down fast & hard! It didn't last long and then once it was over i got to watch a kodak moment!
I watched this bird outside my window as i was sitting at the table. The bird would fly down on the ground pick up something and then land on our electric box. It would eat what it picked up and then it would bath in the water holding in the tube. I probably watched this bird for 3-4 mins ....... finally it dawned on me snap a picture. Sorry the bird turned it's head as snapped the picture. I assume the bird doesn't like it's picture taken just like i don't.
I'm still down in my back and it's been a day of just relaxing .... Hope you all had a great weekend and until next time .....

No comments: