States we've Traveled

States we've Traveled

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Monday, October 27, 2008

Being homeless ….

With all that is going on with our world today as we know it if you have never been or even thought of being homeless and forced to live on the streets maybe it’s time you did. Living the life of the homeless is not a good experience. Sometimes things beyond our control happen to us and yes sometimes things happen to us because we think we can do things to better ourselves and then those plans don’t work out. After all isn’t it the American dream to better yourself and own a house, cars and your own business? Isn’t that why we have so many illegals crossing our borders to experience and live the American dream?

As a child I was never homeless even though I have gone through some very hard times. With a step dad who was very physically abusive. I have known what it’s like to go to bed hungry. I know what it’s like to have a empty stomach. I know what it’s like to wear ragged clothes. Although my clothes were ragged, they were always clean. I know what it’s like for people to make fun of you because you are poor. Kids and adults can be cruel at times. I was raised on welfare. My step dad didn’t care about me, he just cared about the money he got from the government for having me. As a child I can still remember rummaging through the neighbors trash cans for what ever food they threw out.

With the foreclosure rates the past few years and the projected foreclosure rates ahead of us. Our economy is in the toilet and people are literaly being forced to live on the streets, weather it be a park bench or the only vehicle they own. In American today we have children living on the streets with their parents. The banking industry has created a mess because they got greedy and now that they are paying the price for this greed they are even getting greedier. They are taking everything that a person owns and they don’t care what it does to the person their doing it to. All they can say is their just doing their job, they feel for the person their doing it to, but it’s their job.

I know that there are people who are living in a vehicle and doing it by choice weather it be to cut their expenses or just wanting the freedom to move about our beautiful country. But try imagine what it’s like for a person who was forced from their home to have to live inside of such a small area? What kind of mental, emotional and physical stress this takes on them?

Let me tell you what my experience has been living in a vehicle as a disabled person. I started out by cleaning out the trunk and re-arranging and sorting making room for cooler and clothes. The back seat was loaded down with my wheel chair, blankets & pillows as it gets cold in the north.

Got up before dawn and after my last night of sleep in a real bed the car pulled out of the drive way. Not looking back heading for the unknown. Around 2.30 pm it was time to stop at McDonald’s and get the dollar meal burger & fries for lunch/dinner the only hot meal of the day. Later an Aldie’s was spotted and I decided to swing in before they closed. Food was purchased and it was getting late, so it was time to start looking for night camp. Drove around and went and saw some old sites and finally around 1 am found a nice quiet parking spot. After settling in and getting comfy, was fast asleep. Although I kept waking up several times and made sure my secret spot was still a good place for some needed sleep. Right now the temps are still nice enough that sleeping in a vehicle is doable in northern Illinois. I stayed nice and comfy all night long. Of course I had 2 blankets and a sleeping bag wrapped around me.

I woke up once it became daylight, I was wide awake, so I dug out my embroidery and worked on it for a bit. Finally around 8.30 am it was time to head to the first place of business finding a rest room! Man is it ever cold here!! I had to struggle to get from the back seat and outside and into the front seat. Cold weather is hard on my disability and makes me very stiff and my body just doesn’t bend and move very well. The heat from the car heater felt great! A gas station was found and used the bathroom brushed teeth, hair and washed off ready for a new day. It poured down rain most of the day. My back was aching and reminded me why warmer weather is much better.

After the day it was getting late and a night time spot needed to be staked out. It’s amazing how many campers are out in this cold weather. Car dwelling options are slimmer when the campers are out and about. Once Nov 1st hits, then car dwelling options are much better. Went to the local lake and stayed until around 9 pm, check out time was 10 pm. During the time here, the car was once again re-arranged the vehicle from day living to night living. Making your vehicle appear during day light hours that it’s not being lived in is a must. This evening while looking for the next night camp, a Wal-mart was spotted and stocked up some snack foods. After finding the night camp, headed back to Wal-mart it was decided to park in their lot for a short nap, then around midnight it was time to head to night camp for the night. Decided to sneak into the State Park and since I have stayed here on numerous occasions, I knew the regular routine. Found a nice secluded spot, enjoyed a midnight snack and then settled down for the night. The alarm was set. After a good cat nap at 2.30 am it was time to quietly go to the bath house and get a nice long hot shower. Oh how wonderful was that shower. After showering, returned to the secluded spot and took a few more hours sleep. The alarm went off around 5.15 am, back to the shower house for a potty break and then quietly left and found a empty quiet parking spot between 2 semi trailers being stored. It was back to sleep, as always around 8 am I woke up and worked on my embroidery.

Around 10.30 am it was time to find the day camp area. Around 5 pm decided it was once again time to stake out the night camp. On the way decided it was a splurging night and got some Woody’s fried chicken. Mmmm it was so good. Purchased the smallest bucket they had, mmmm that means get to have chicken again tomorrow. What was so great was since it was so close to closing time got the chicken at a discount price, plus they gave more pieces then normally … wow even better yet!!

Drove about 40 more mins and decided on another local state park, (a different one). Drove around the park and found what thought would be a nice secluded spot for later. Then drove down by the water and enjoyed supper. Boy is it ever cold down here by the water. 9 pm was check out time for the day use area, so moved over to the parking lot near the visitor center and parked. I decided it was time to test staying in the rich area and see if would get stopped by the cops. Was parked about 40 mins when behold a sheriff cop car showed up. The officer parked his squad car in front of me with his head lights on bright and yes, he even turned on cherries & blue berries (why I don’t know, it wasn’t like I was going anywhere, I saw him coming toward me). Walked up to the car and asked what was doing. I told him I am disabled and needed to rest my back, which I wasn’t lying, as I was snuggled into my bed in the back seat. He shinned his light on my wheel chair which was also in the floor board of the back seat and my legs were squeezed in beside it. I then held up my apple that I was eating and stated I was having an apple for my snack. He asked for an ID and who’s vehicle I was in. I replied it was mine, he looked at my ID and asked where was I heading and why I was in the parking lot. I replied resting my back and eating a snack and once again held up my apple. The officer then said he’d be right back and went to run the ID and car plates. While he was doing this another police officer showed up but didn’t get out. The officer returned and said everything came back okay. I asked him if I could use the rest room at the day area and he said no problem. So headed over to the restroom and then on the way. Well the test was done and yes if you park at Pere Marquette State Park in the parking lot of the visitor center the police will show up. Although the officer was very nice and didn’t say had to leave, left on my own as the parking lot was lit up too much for my sleeping. Drove about 30 min’s to Hardin, Il where I needed to go to the bank in the morning. Parked by the river in a public dock lot and spent the rest of night with no trouble. I woke up around 6.30 am at daylight, embroidery awhile and around 7.30 am I had to find a rest room, cleaned up for the day. Went to the bank and finished my business and by 9 am was back on the road.

It’s definitely a challenge living this lifestyle. I can honestly say it’s much more difficult then living inside of a camper. I have the so much respect for those who live in such small places. I’m sure a van would be a must for living inside of. At least then you can install a bed where you can fully stretch out! Living inside of a car you can never stretch out completely, you don’t have heating or cooling because it’s too expensive to run the motor all the time, being disabled your medical condition is worse, my back hurt none stop. Having to sneak into a state park during the night time or where you can find to just be able to get a decent shower. But living on a small income all corners must be cut. It’s difficult as a disabled person and I’m sure it’s not better for a healthy person. My heart goes out to all those who have lost their homes and are living this vagabond lifestyle because they are forced to and not because they want to. It is very stressful. It makes a person truly appreciate what they do have. If you have never lived this lifestyle you need to try it just for a few days and then when you see a homeless person weather it’s their choice or they are forced the lifestyle you will have compassion and more understanding to their struggles of everyday life. I can’t even imagine what those who are not foruntate enough to own a car and live on park benches, in any alley or under a tree or culvert do it. I know even though I was dry when it rained, it was miserable! I can’t imagine not having shelter.

The sad thing is millions of people are living this lifestyle because they have no other options and that is just so sad. Our government is spending billions to other countries, for Wall Street and yet we have millions living on the streets because they have no choice.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Very, very, good blog! Thank You for the "perspective". Having lived out of a backpack and a "pup tent"(no car) for a time (years ago), reading your words brought back many memories of just "how dire" those times were...the "worse part", even then, for me was the sneaking around that one had to do to find a "safe place" to hide for the night. I "dreaded that part" even more than the trying to find food(there were always "soup kitchens" to be found "somewhere"). I can only imagine just "how difficult" it's gotta be for people "out there" today. Can you imagine having a couple of "young ones"...and no source of income at all?? These are shamefully perilous times that we are headed into...hopefully, we will grow/learn to help "watch out/care for those lesser abled" than we find ourselves to be...one can only pray, anyway...sigh...Thanks Again, for the thought-provoking blog!...

La, Storyteller/Storysinger said...

Wow!
A powerful, thought provoking and well written blog!
I am blessed that I have not had to truly experience homelessness....to do so out of necessity and with young children or with a disability is a scary thought.
Once again....an excellent post.

Pennie said...

Thanks Michael & Laney. I just have been thinking alot about how it felt when i was child to be hungry and how difficult it is for me to live in a car. Thought maybe if i posted and those who have never experienced might think of trying it a few days and then maybe they would change how they approach and treat those who are struggling with our economy the way it is. It is really a difficult lifestyle to live.