States we've Traveled

States we've Traveled

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th!

Lunch date & Late night trip to the ER!

My friday the 13th started out to be a good one ....

I got up this morning and got my dishes done, straightened up Ms. Southwind. Then i took the dogs on their morning walk. Showered and got ready to run over to Pet Smart to get some flea med’s as I'm out and and found one on Lucy. While i was out Steve called and said he was headed over to get me? He is going to see about moving back to the campground and he wants to take me out to lunch! While Steve got his truck top unloaded on his new to be spot, i put on a bit of a face. We left for our lunch date. It was very good! Yes i ate too much! But it was soooo good. During our lunch date we were talking and he said that around 9 pm or so on Wednesday night one of his sons finally called him to wish him a Happy Birthday. The son had forgotten until the next day…. hmmmmm

I got home later in the afternoon and i noticed Lucy was rubbing her eyes and they were red. So i gave her Benadryl. Lucy suffers with allergies just like me. My allergies have been bothering me the past few days as well. I love it when Spring arrives as the flowers start blooming, the trees are getting their buds. But … my allergies don’t!

Then my Friday the 13th got bad ........

Around 8 pm i decided it was a beautiful night for a walk and the park was pretty quiet as most of the workers here had gone home for the weekend. It was a beautiful night for my evening walk but when i returned Lucy was not better but worse! Lucy was now licking and that means it’s affecting her throat, not good! I decided to read on the flea medication for reactions and what to do. I had a strong feeling it was the flea med that was causing the severe reaction. So i gave her a long bath and more Benadryl but an half hour later still not good, small bumps were appearing on her body. So i got online and looked up the nearest emergency vet, called them and they said to bring her right in. So off we went to the vet about 8 miles away. We got there and they saw her and sure enough she was having a allergic reaction to the new flea med’s. So she was given a shot and we waited, after an hour, still she was reacting so another shot was injected. Finally around 11.30 pm the second shot had kicked in and she was doing better. No more licking, no more rubbing of the eyes and the bumps were gone.

After paying the bill of $128.59 we headed home. Before we even got home she was out on my lap sleeping away. Lucy’s traumatic day of itching, scratching had exhausted her. None of the other dogs were reacting but i decided to be on the safe side i gave them all a dose of Benadryl before heading to bed!

The vet informed that it really isn’t good to buy over the counter flea med’s for dogs. All they are is a large dipping dose and don’t last very long and are not good for the dogs. I was out of frontline plus that i have always used in the past. So in the end it cost me more to take a cheap route instead of just paying out the money and get their regular flea meds. Sometimes trying to be cheap just doesn’t pay off! Lesson learned and now i still have to fork out the $100 bucks and get the good med’s … Ughhhhhh

Until next time …..

No comments: