States we've Traveled

States we've Traveled

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Finally on the road

I got up this morning and got things around. The wind is blowing about 25 - 30 mph, it freezing outside and inside the camper and spitting snow. I had unplugged the heater last night and forgot to plug it back in. The wind is hitting the front of the motor home and blowing right inside through the front grill. I got the heater turned on and got some heat going, once it warmed up, i got dressed.



Ready to finally pull out around 10 am and on the road. Stop about an hour on the road and fuel up at a Pilot's Truck stop, gasoline was $2.90 = $133.00! (hadn't fueled up since had arrived at my last destination) head back on the way. About another hour later hear this horrible noise and i look out window and the wind caught the awning and it was coming undone!!! quickly pull over and with the wind blowing like it is there is no way can pull it out and put it back in. Parked along the interstate, it's freezing outside and spitting snow. fighting trying to secure the awning enough cant get back on the road. I dig out the bungee cords and climb on top of the motor home and tie the awning down. Not perfect but i think its secure and move able. back on the road again.


stopped for the night at a Pilot Truck Stop. refueled, gasoline was $2.70 = $97.00 traveled 212 miles today. I fixed sloppy joes & chips for dinner and i went inside to see about getting wifi and unfortunately the Pilot doesn't have it. Their company went out of business and they haven't found a new one yet. Dang! averaged 6 miles per gallon pulling a full size car on a tow dolly and fighting 35 mph winds. I don't think that is too bad with a 454 engine?? Usually average around 8-9 mpg when we are towing.


Well i think this ole gal is going to take the dogs out potty, put my pj's on and lay in bed and read before calling it a night.

1 comment:

Julia said...

The awning coming undone happened to me too, on I-10 heading east in Arizona on the border of NM and AZ. I had to pull into a weigh station much to the surprise of the attendant controlling the scales. I got the RV contrary to the wind and rewound the awning and tied the support arms. I never felt safe about that thing again. When the wind is against you it costs you money doesn't it?
Good luck on your trip.
Julia