States we've Traveled

States we've Traveled

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tribute to Ms Southwind

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Could you be homeless?

Not much happening here this week. Yesterday wasn’t too bad of a day. I did laundry and then went to see a footbridge. Although i have to admit when i looked online and found this footbridge it didn’t say anything about being in a ruff neighborhood. I got up on the bridge and my camera batteries were dead! Ughhh I didn’t walk across the bridge as i was beginning to feel a little uncomfortable with my surroundings. From what i understand on the corner down the street is a kitchen that serves hot meals to homeless and tries to help them get training to get jobs. I think that is great!

I just couldn’t get what i saw yesterday out of my mind. Today was spent basically lounging around Ms. Southwind just being thankful i have her. Ms. Southwind is old, she isn’t nice and shiny, she doesn’t have a slide out that give spacious room, everything inside of her is old and worn like me. Many people snub their nose and ask how or why i live in something so old. They judge me because i live in an old RV. That’s okay because i spent the day just being thankful that I have this old Ms. Southwind and she belongs to me.

It’s such a sad thing to see people walking around with a shopping cart, book bag or whatever they can carry their belongings in. Our country needs to wake up. We can give billions of dollars to the banking industry whom has scammed people for years, are still be allowed to scam the American people yet they are bailed out and given billions of dollars. Yet, we have people in this country who are homeless, have absolute nothing and you don’t see the government stepping forward and bailing them out … why is that? It makes my blood boil when i see how our government has wasted billions all because politicians had to bail out the industry that fills their campaign pockets.

You know i am considered a transient (which is a homeless person) because i do not own a stationary home. Seeing these homeless people makes me realize i am lucky because i do have a home that gives me shelter from the rain/snow. These people do not have that luxury, they sleep on the streets out in the cold & heat. They have no shelter from the rain/snow. They have no place to store their clothing and what little belongings they may have. They are limited in how much belongings they can have … it’s basically what they can carry with them. By my home being in a motorized vehicle i have it better then they do. I can fit what ever i need in this vehicle, i can lock it up and leave it to go inside of the store and not have to worry about some one stealing it.

As long as i can keep this vehicle running i have shelter and a way to move to a safer environment. These people do not have that. They can only go where they can walk and most likely the police will run them off as it’s clear by looking at them their homeless.

Have you ever sat down and thought about what you would do, how you would do it and how you would feel if circumstances in your life made you become homeless, have no health care, no money for food, no vehicle for shelter, basically all you had were the clothing on your back and what few items you could carry in a back pack. The only food you had was what you could dig out of dumpster or be given to you through a homeless kitchen? How would or could you survive living this way?

I have been in several large cities through the past few years and i have seen these people and it’s heart breaking. I know your thinking, well that will not happen to me. I used to think that to. I can remember the first time i ever saw a homeless person when i went to California. But the truth is … do you know for a fact that this will never be you … how can you know that for sure? Think about a few things and what would happen to you if these things occurred .. what if you lose your job, you get sick and can’t work or you get hurt and your insurance refuses to pay? What will happen to you, could you survive or would you be homeless and tossed into the streets such as many Americans have been due to the banking industry that taxes payer are paying to give their executives billions of dollars in bonuses.

Americans need to wake up, start calling your congressman/President and let them know how you would feel and see exactly what their doing to help out the thousands of people who are suffering through this exact ordeal right now. If Americans don’t start fighting back you are going to be broke and in the same place as these people. Do you continue to lie to yourself or start believing that this could be me? With today’s economy and the way the world is can you honestly still believe that some day that couldn’t be you or a loved one carrying your belongings on your back while it’s raining/snowing?

I read Michael Moore 15 things we can do … here is the link .. check it out and see if you can do any of these things to help yourself, your children and other fellow Americans out.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mikes-letter/michael-moores-action-plan-15-things-every-american-can-do-right-now

I hope your all having a great week and think about what I've written today … you could be one of those poor souls i saw yesterday.

5 comments:

Paula said...

My old (96) motorhome suits me just fine also. we have no slides and cramped spaces but we are happy. OLD RULES! Besides, I don't owe the bank anything on my OLD motorhome!
I saw my first homeless people in Washington, D.C.. In a park right across the street from the White House.. can you believe it? (1984)
Our country has many homeless but I also know that many choose to be that way. It came by accident and then they discover they love the freedom from "things" and stay even though they no longer have to be. Saw a documentary on this a while ago. I couldn't understand it, but then I have never been homeless. Praise the Lord!
Where will you be spending your winter this year? We are heading back into Louisianna for awhile.
Paula

Anonymous said...

I became homeless in 2006. Long story...but went from $180,000 in my pocket to penniless in a domestic abuse shelter in just a few months. I hardly knew what hit me.

No one knows what is next. I was homeless just before the middle class got hit. No sympathy from most. I always said that what folks stand by and watch others going through without compassion and care is probably gonna bite those same folks in the butt on the next go-round.

Suddenly the middle class thinks food stamps and cash assistance is too small for them. Probably the same people who complained I was getting too much as a disabled person.

I lived in a 1974 RV part of the time I was too poor to be an RV'er but at least had my home on wheels to live in. The hard part was finding cheap places to stay and being able to afford gas when I needed to move.

I can remember going to the thrift store for cheap kitchen stuff and free bread. The neighborhood was overflowing with homeless people who had NOTHING and just sat there all day with their bundles. It was heartbreaking.

This Thanksgiving I am soooooo thankful for my subsidized apartment, food stamps and disability!

Pennie said...

I understand some chose to be, but it's just a shame to see someone digging through a trash can and taking food from it and eating it!

Plans were to head to Texas but so far things have come up and unable to head south yet .. hopefully soon as Mr. Winter is around the corner.

Wendy, i remember when you lived in your RV and the problems you had, i worried about you so and i'm also thankful that you have your apartment, food stamps and disabilty. Ignore those who judge you, they have no clue until they have walked in your shoes.

God gives us circumstances and it's up to us how we deal with them, but we should always have compassion and love for others esp when their going through a ruff time.

Yesterday really hit me and made me count my blessings.

Michael said...

hmmm..."home" is really nothing more than a state of mind for many of us who live in RVs. For the past 6-7 years, since moving into ol' Wanderwolf (she's an '82), I have carried my "home" with me...like a tortoise carries theirs...and am at "home" where ever I may wander.

In my travels, I have met people living in their Pinto (remember those?)...and in old Milk Trucks, and in vans...all are what are called "homeless", or "transient" by so-called "polite" society. Some are...some aren't...it's all just a state of mind.

"Homelessness", on the other hand, is a National Shame...and I do feel empathy for souls who fall into such a situation (regardless of the circumstances that brings it to them). I am simple "befuddled" however, by the sheer adacity of those "in Power" who turn a blind eye to their cries...especially for those also with children to somehow care for...

How have we, as a Nation, come to this?

"Something" has got to change.

Pennie said...

I agree totally Michael, regardless of the circumstances that has brought one to be homeless they still deserve respect and help in being treated as a human. I have also seen children living in vehicles, in tents and on park benches and it's just a shame that our nation has and tries to justify this. If this country would of taken those billions and bailed out home owners, we wouldn't be near as in debt as we are now as a nation.

I agree change needs to come and it needs to start now! Unforuntally the leaders of this country seem to careless about anyone who doesn't or can not fill their campaign pockets.